Blog
How It Was Made: Red Skull
July 2, 2017

This post will cover a Red Skull redesign costume made as a companion piece for my armored Captain America. For this version of the classic Cap nemesis, I wanted to go with a brand new concept and modern update to counter and complement the design of the Cap costume. The first thing to tackle was […]

In this post, I’ll cover the creation of a Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross A.T.A.C. armor suit. I wanted to push my foam building skills and thought this would be a great challenge. I want to create the entire suit in foam – no resin casts, no 3D printing, all foam. I began with the […]

How It Was Made: Wolverine
February 26, 2017

In this post, I’ll be covering a new Wolverine project. This will be an original version of the character based on different concepts and reference images that the client and I reviewed and selected design elements to focus on and include. As usual, the first step was to create a fitting mock up. I created […]

How It Was Made: Raven
January 1, 2017

In this post, I’ll be going over the the construction of a redesign of Teen Titans’ Raven. The client originally sent me the art below from the animated Teen Titans series. While this was the base for the design, we wanted to amp it up and make it more cinematic. So, I decided to add […]

How It Was Made: Noel Batman
September 30, 2016

This thread will follow the construction of a new Batman suit based on the Noel graphic novel. This suit will be made in the same style as the recent Captain America suits – an ‘armored’ torso that fits over a stretch shirt with the sleeves and pants that combine ‘armor’ and stretch elements. Below is […]

How It Was Made: Captain America Armor Variant
September 29, 2016

After completing the last Captain America project, I’ve taken on a new version. This one is based on the one covered here, but has one major difference – it’s armored. I’m using the below artwork as reference, though this new piece is not ment to be any one version, but an original “mash-up” of some […]

How It Was Made: Agents of Asgard Loki
July 26, 2016

There’s another Loki project in the SMP studio! This one is based on the Agents of Asgard series and below are a few of the numerous reference images that I’m working from. My client is working on some of the components herself, so the pieces that I’ll be creating are: Coat with shoulder ‘armor’ ‘Armored’ […]

How It Was Made: Punisher
June 4, 2016

The latest entry in to the How It Was Made section is all about Punisher’s vest from the 2nd season of Daredevil. This piece was begun in a similar manner to the Daredevil season 1 suit that I made last year. Using the below picture as my main reference for the vest itself, a layout […]

How It Was Made: Falcon
March 31, 2016

In this thread, I’ll be covering the construction of the soft components of the MCU Falcon. A note on this thread: this will combine two builds of the same costume. So, there will be some images that contain segments on the ver 1.0 costume that were not covered. I’m only covering the final version. So, […]

How It Was Made: Kylo Ren
February 7, 2016

The latest project to get underway is a replica of Kylo Ren from Star Wars: The Force Awakens. This project will consist of 6┬ámajor components: neck seal, under tunic, mid coat, top coat, cowl and belt. I decided to begin with the neck seal. To create the pattern, I turned to my trusty Ed Head […]

1 2 3