How It Was Made: Daredevil
September 28, 2015

The latest project to get underway is a replica of the red Daredevil costume from the new Netflix series. Suits like this seem to be a big trend now – an ‘armored’ chest and torso section, with an undershirt that contains the sleeves and pants with a belt that covers the join at the waist. […]

How It Was Made: Edward Kenway
July 28, 2015

There’s a brand new project underway – Edward Kenway from Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag. I began this project by developing a sloper¬†for the torso pieces. This basic pattern was used to create both the ‘jacket’ and the leather vest. Once I had the fit the way I wanted it, I used one side of the […]

How It Was Made: Loki
July 7, 2015

The latest project to get underway is an armored Loki costume from Avengers. As usual, I began the build by creating a muslin sloper and drawing out the style lines for the costume’s details. This muslin version was fitted on the client and notes for alterations were made.¬†The sleeves will eventually be attached to the […]

How It Was Made: The Flash
May 25, 2015

The latest project in the lineup is a Flash suit from the new television show. I began gathering reference and the client’s measurements and got started on the pattern. Like most projects, this one began with the creation of the fitting mock up. In order to create this, I get the client to fill in […]

How It Was Made: Prince Dastan
March 12, 2015

In this edition, I’ll be outlining the creation of a Prince Dastan costume from film version of The Prince of Persia. The first thing we noticed from our reference images was that the vest leather actually has a semi-floral embossed pattern in it. So, while looking around and deciding how best to do that, we […]

How It Was Made: Tactical Style Batsuit
February 26, 2015

I was contacted by a client who wanted a version of a Batman suit based on some of the recent video game versions and built in a similar fashion to the last Captain America projects he had seen posted here. For reference, we focused primarily on the Arkham Origins and Arkham Knight suits. Using these […]

It’s time for another Captain America project! This time, I’m working on a version of the suit from the upcoming Avengers 2: Age of Ultron movie. After gathering as much reference material as I could from various sources, I began drafting the costume. The last Captain America project I drafted, I used a quick-and-easy body […]

How It Was Made: Winter Soldier
January 18, 2015

This session will cover the creation of a replica Bucky Barnes Winter Soldier costume from the second Captain America movie. This costume was originally created for DragonCon 2014 and some updates were made after that for Kastucon 2015. As with most of my builds, I began with a basic pattern block and created the initial […]

How It Was Made: Captain America (2014 edition)
September 15, 2014

Another Captain America project is under way and this one has a bit of a twist. It’s being made so that it’s convertible – the torso can be swapped out and the chest stripes can be removed so the costume can be work as either the “classic” Cap or the Commander Rogers “stealth suit” version. […]

How It Was Made: Macross Flightsuit
June 17, 2014

This page follows the creation of a flightsuit from the anime series Macross (Robotech in the US). When considering this costume, I wanted to create an update to the original version and bring a lot of realism to the outfit while maintaining the style of the art. Below is the original artwork I used and […]